Monday, March 3, 2014

The power of 2 words

The cubs have had chores for many years, but I am totally horrible at consistency, so they know how to do a lot of things around the house, they just don't do them!  One thing we have been fairly consistent enforcing is unloading the dishwasher.  This school year we have been been really working on making sure we eat at the table together several times a week.  This then created a new job - clearing the table. Papa Bear is fairly particular about how the dishwasher is loaded. It comes from his days of packing the bellies of planes.  But there are at least 2 of us who do not have natural inclination towards organization, and none of us live up to his standards.  So the easiest path is to let him do it.  On evenings he is not home and it is up to the Cubs and I to do housework we either leave it for him to get home, or we do our best.  Now, the leave it strategy is not in the least bit helpful to the Cubs development.

So tonight Papa Bear went to his cousin's place to fix a couple of computers.  I needed to get something done, so after leaving Baby Bear to her duties I went into the other room to something.  Baby Bear come in a few minutes later and informed me that she loaded the dishwasher, hand washed the dishes she knew could not go into the dishwasher, dried them and then put them away.  She then told me why there was 1 pan that she could not wash because she did not know what to do with the items in it.  She did all the hand-washing and drying and putting away without being asked.

I was so impressed and extremely proud.
After she recited what she had achieved, she trudged off to take a shower.
I called her back so she could see my face and gave her a heart felt "Thank You".
He face absolutely lit up. She grinned at me and bounced up the stairs.

It is amazing what 2 simple words can do for person.
They can affirm, lift up and inspire.

This goes beyond being polite.
This goes to the very heart of reaching my child.
It shows them appreciation for not only what they do, but that I care that THEY do it.

2 small words....
One amazing outcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment