Thursday, December 12, 2013

My Quote of the Day

I know, I am way behind in listing my "thankfuls", let alone getting them scrapped.  But I am working on it.
In the meantime, I need to get back to writing....
    it is a way to cleanse my mind and focus on the moment.

I am a Roman Catholic Christian.  I am not sure I ever specifically said that on this blog.  I have been an RCC since my parents had me baptized as an infant.  But just because I have been raised as one does not  mean that I have always acted in a manner in keeping with the rich tradition of my faith.  Nor does it mean that I know and understand everything that my Church teaches.  But since having children, and knowing that it is my responsibility to pass on the faith to them, I am always on the prowl to find new ways of learning and understanding.  I have found 2 excellent resources, both of which just stated this week.

The first is a study of the Gospels....
It is a daily reading from the Gospels along with a short commentary that comes to my email each morning.  By the end of the year I will have studied all 4 Gospels.

The second is a study of the Catechism of the Catholic Church (CCC).  Many people mistakenly think that the CCC is our "other Bible".  That is so not true.  It is a compendium of the Catholic Church's interpretation of the Bible (you can't read any of it without running into biblical references), along with the teachings of the "doctors" of the church.  It is no different than reading a book written by a pastor. The only difference is that our CCC is based on the teachings and preachings and oral traditions passed on for the last 2000 years.  The nice part about this study is that there has been a catechism written for "youth" (read that for anyone who finds the full CCC a bit intimidating to read) and the study is using that as the basis with links back to the "whole" CCC.

Today both of the lessons really had points that hit hard for me.  I will spare you the entire writing I could do on the Gospel reading for the day.  The reading was the Slaughter of the Innocents in the Gospel of Matthew.  Suffice it to say that I was filled with compassion for families who have lost children, particularly those who have lost children as a result of selfish acts and tragic brutality by others.

From the CCC lesson there was a quote that I found beautiful....

Every man is receptive to what is true, good, and beautiful. He hears within himself the voice of conscience, which urges him to what is good and warns him against what is evil. Anyone who follows this path reasonably finds God. (YOUCAT question 4)

So my miracle today are the lessons that are sent my way, through books, through others, and even through e-mail.  

1 comment:

  1. Text In Church is the trusted church communication software that provides effective, yet simple, email communication and text messaging for churches.

    ReplyDelete